Do you want to become a doula?!
Discover Birth offers regular doula trainings. Check back often for updates and scheduled training sessions.
Birth Doula Training
Congratulations on your interest in becoming a birth doula! You will soon experience the amazing joy of the special impact you will have on women and families in your area.
Discover Birth offers a DONA approved birth doula workshop. This is one step towards becoming a certified doula. Check out their site for a full listing of requirements. www.dona.org
Anyone who has a willingness to help women through birth can become a birth doula. Though it’s helpful, it’s not necessary to have a background in health or medicine. Keep in mind that a doula is a non-medical professional.
Our 2013 Birth Doula trainings will be held:
July 6, 7, 2013 in Whitby, Ontario. The cost is $350 plus HST. Click here for more info.
Our workshop runs full day both Saturday and Sunday. Click on the link for each location and details specific to that workshop.
Our Birth Doula Training 2 day workshops will cover:
- Role of the Doula
- Emotional, physical, and informational support of women and families in the prenatal period, at birth, and in the early postpartum period
- Involving support people
- Comfort measures
- Common interventions and medications
- How to become a certified doula with DONA International
- Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics
- Interprofessional Relationships
- How to build a doula business
You will be given all the necessary tools to begin your journey towards becoming a certified doula through DONA International.
We will continue to support you as you have questions or need additional support.
Please contact us for more information at 1-877-247-8436 or through our contact page
Ways to register include:
- By phone: at 1-877-BIRTH36 (247-8436)
- By mail: download and complete the registration form and mail to the address provided
- By fax: download and complete the registration form and fax to us
- By email: download and complete the registration form, then scan and email to us (please note that we cannot assure the safety of this means of transmission of your credit card information)
Please print and fill out Registration – Birth Doula Workshop
Cancellation policy: Full cancellation available within 24 hours. Refunds are available 30 days or more before workshop start date minus a $40 handling fee. No refunds will be made within 30 days of the workshop, however registrants may apply the fee towards a future workshop held by Discover Birth Inc. Cancellations within one week of class must pay a $50 administration fee to rebook and apply fee towards another workshop. NO EXCEPTIONS.
We would be happy to come and host a workshop in YOUR area. If you would like to host a session, please contact us for more information about how you can bring the workshop to you.
Doula Training Pre-Requisites
It is required that you have some updated basic knowledge about pregnancy and childbirth prior to taking a DONA birth doula workshop. This is accomplished through attendance at a childbirth education class in your community. Please discuss this requirement with your trainer to be sure you complete it prior to your training and to see what options exist in your area. Some exceptions apply for those who have recently attended a class, who have related experience, or significant knowledge on the childbirth process.
We look forward to travelling this path with you!